The Cole County Sheriff’s Office is actively recruiting for Patrol Deputies. The recruitment period will remain open until further notice. NOTE: All candidates will have to be P.O.S.T Certified. Major duties (not limited to the following):
- Patrolling assigned areas to detect and monitor possible criminal activity and interrogate suspicious persons.
- Responding to emergency calls to provide assistance.
- Investigating incidents for civil or criminal law violations.
- Apprehending and arresting suspected law violators to ensure public safety.
- Preparing and preserving evidence in accordance with directives to maintain chain of custody.
- Testifying in court to provide an accurate account of investigation findings.
- Controlling activities at traffic accident scenes by assisting victims or maintaining traffic flow.
- Enforcing traffic laws by observing violations and issuing citations.
- Providing information and assistance to the public.
- Preparing and submits daily activity reports in accordance with standard operating procedures (SOP) and directives.
- Transporting prisoners to court, medical or prison facilities.
- Maintaining patrol car, weapons and other law enforcement equipment to insure operational readiness.
- Performing other related duties as required.
The field training program will consist of 17 weeks (the recruit will work 80 hours in the jail during their field training program). All equipment and uniforms including footwear will be provided. Those selected for hire will complete a 40 hour work week with full benefits during this training period. The salary for this position is $33,679.68 per year.
- 21 years of age or older.
- Be a United States Citizen.
- Must possess a valid driver’s Missouri Drivers License at the time of appointment.
- High School Diploma/or Equivalent
- Type a minimum of 25 words per minute.
- The following qualifications are preferred but not required: 60 semester hours / 90 quarter hours of study or equivalent Associates Degree from an accredited college, university, community college, or
- Three (3) years active duty U.S. Military service, or
- Three (3) years experience as a law enforcement officer
- NOTE: YOUR DRIVING HISTORY WILL BE THOROUGHLY REVIEWED AND MAY BE GROUNDS FOR DISQUALIFICATION.
- Must possess a certified copy of a Birth Certificate.
- Must possess a Social Security card.
- Must complete the prescribed Physical Abilities Assessment (PAA).
- Provide a copy of military discharge, DD-214 (if applicable).
- May not have received a dishonorable discharge from any of the Armed Forces of the United States.
- Cannot have tattoos that are visible to the public while wearing the standard uniform of the day. Visible tattoos must be covered.
- Must not have used any illegal drugs within 36 months of making application or after the age of 30.
- Must be of good moral character.
- No felony convictions, arrests or other law enforcement interaction involving perjury, false statements, domestic violence or criminal traffic offenses will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- Will undergo criminal records check which includes fingerprints.
- Must successfully pass an extensive background investigation and polygraph examination.
At the time of appointment, you have 6 months to establish a residence in Cole County.